Religion, Love of Jesus or Fear of God

On reading my blog on "Son going to temple" my friend commented that she thought my views on religion was weird and that a child does not know A from B. Its the duty of a mother to give them religion and later when they are older they can find their own way.
It is actually what will happen with my son. Who do you think is going to read him "Jesus stories"?
She had commented how glad she is now to have been forced to go to church as child and how now her children understands right and wrong from the fear of GOD. This lead to the question whether for a child, is religion the love of Jesus or Fear of GOD?
So whoever that is reading, feel free to comment.

Son,
This much I know, Fear your mama but know that she loves you and it is that love that will make her put the fear of God in you.